Laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery Prof. Antanas Mickevičius
Gastric sleeve surgery – is a procedure, during which the volume of stomach is reduced by 70 percent. A surgeon creates a small stomach "sleeve”, a tube-shaped organ, the volume of which is about 200 ml. After a sleeve gastrectomy, correction of eating and behavior habits is essential – patient must avoid high calorie beverages (milk cocktails, carbonated beverages etc.), eat in small portions of food, never lay down after meal, avoid eating and drinking at the same time, chew food properly, eat five times during the day.
Operating surgeon's consultation is absolutely necessary before the gastric sleeve surgery. The surgeon evaluates patient's health condition and weight change history, checks doctors' referrals, discusses the surgery details with the patient, as well as the post-surgery period and recovery.
The surgery is performed under general anesthesia. At Kardiolita hospital, gastric sleeve surgeries are performed by the leading gastric and abdominal surgeon – Dr. Prof. Antanas Mickevičius. Gastric sleeve surgery is performed using minimally invasive laparoscopic technique under general anesthesia.
- It is recommended to stay in the hospital for 2-3 days after the surgery. For patients having flights, it is recommended to fly not earlier than on the 4th day after the surgery to avoid any possible complications.
- Most patients return to work after 2 weeks after the surgery.
- Most patients return to their normal activities in 3 to 5 weeks after the surgery
- Pain medicine may need to be taken for 7-10 days after the surgery.
The risk of complications after this type of surgery occurs in 3-5 percent of cases.
- Most common complications are: bleeding, pneumonia, infections. Risk for developing complications is highest in patients with greater degrees of obesity before surgery.
- Regaining of weight. Patients may regain some of their lost weight if they eat high calorie foods, drink high calorie beverages or snack between meals.
- Blood loss after surgery, wound infections, gastric mucosal irritation caused by anti-inflammatory medications.
- If you would like to get a quote for surgery feel free to fill in this questionnaire: QUESTIONNAIRE.
- The surgeon will evaluate your general health and prepare an individual treatment plan, our patients coordinator will get in touch with you within 1-2 working days.
Booking the treatment
- Once you are approved for the surgery you can choose the suitable date for the treatment.
- To book the surgery you will be asked to pay deposit payment.
- Next step - flights and accommodation booking. We can also offer help with arranging your trip and accommodation.
Preparing for the surgery at home
- One month before the surgery you will receive dietary principles you will be recommended to follow before surgery.
- Also, one month before surgery you are advised to stop smoking and avoid consuming excessive amounts of alcohol to get the best possible results.
Preparing for the surgery at the clinic
- You will need to arrive to Lithuania at least two days before the surgery. On the 1st – 2nd day a mandatory COVID-19 test is performed, as well as blood tests, ECG, consultation with surgeon, consultation with endocrinologist, consultation with gastroenterologist and stomach endoscopy (esophagogastroduodenoscopy).
- Before the surgery you will have to sign an agreement to undergo the surgery and anaesthesia. Please read these documents carefully and if there will be some obscurity or questions sort them out with the doctor and/or doctor-anaesthetist before signing the agreements.
- The payment for the surgery conditions are stated in the Agreement for the provision of personal health care services. The payment can be made by cash or credit card before surgery.
- On the 2nd – 3rd day you will have the surgery. You will need to stay at the hospital for 2 nights. Here you will be provided with all needed medication and care. Bring only personal hygiene kit (toothbrush, toothpaste, comb etc.). Pyjamas, robe, slippers will be provided by the clinic personnel.
- After the surgery you will have consultation with dietitian and will get a diet program, that you will need to follow. Medicine and food package are also given for the first days after surgery.
- After surgery you should stay in Lithuania for at least 5 days.
- If you have any questions you are always welcome to contact us by phone or email. Depending on Your individual situation online consultations with dietitian or surgeon can also be arranged.
If you would like to get a quote for bariatric surgery treatment feel free to fill in this questionnaire: QUESTIONNAIRE.