Laparoscopic gastric plication
Gastric plication surgery (gastric wrap) – this procedure involves formation of gastric folds by folding the stomach walls inward and suturing them in place. The stomach volume is reduced; as a consequence, the patient gets full after eating very little food. Patients can expect to lose from 40% to 100% of their excess body weight within the first two years after the surgery. Many medical conditions related to obesity (hypertension, diabetes, sleep apnea etc.) usually improve after this type of weight loss surgery.
The type of gastric surgery to be performed is always decided by the surgeon, who evaluates patient's health condition and weight loss / gain history, as well as other doctor specialists recommendations and referrals. Gastric plication surgery may be chosen as the most effective gastric surgery when the patient's weight history allows and good operating surgeon confirms that results can be expected.
Gastric plication surgery is performed under general anesthesia. Gastric plication surgeries are performed by the leading gastric and abdominal surgeon – Dr. Prof. Antanas Mickevičius.
We use minimally invasive laparoscopic technique for gastric plication.
- It is recommended to stay in the hospital for 2-3 days after the surgery. For patients having flights, it is recommended to fly not earlier than on the 4th day after the surgery to avoid any possible complications.
- Most patients return to work after 2 weeks after the surgery.
- Most patients return to their normal activities in 3 to 5 weeks after the surgery
- Pain medicine may need to be taken for 7-10 days after the surgery.
The procedure is performed under general anesthesia; therefore the anesthesia related complications may occur, e.g. nausea, vomiting, dental injuries, sore throat, headache, embolism etc. In addition, some postoperative complications are possible: suture leakage, separation of sutures etc. The risk of mentioned complications occurs in 1 percent of cases.
- If you would like to get a quote for surgery feel free to fill in this questionnaire: QUESTIONNAIRE.
- The surgeon will evaluate your general health and prepare an individual treatment plan, our patients coordinator will get in touch with you within 1-2 working days.
Booking the treatment
- Once you are approved for the surgery you can choose the suitable date for the treatment.
- To book the surgery you will be asked to pay deposit payment.
- Next step - flights and accommodation booking. We can also offer help with arranging your trip and accommodation.
Preparing for the surgery at home
- One month before the surgery you will receive dietary principles you will be recommended to follow before surgery.
- Also, one month before surgery you are advised to stop smoking and avoid consuming excessive amounts of alcohol to get the best possible results.
Preparing for the surgery at the clinic
- You will need to arrive to Lithuania at least one day before the surgery. On the 1st day a mandatory COVID-19 test is performed, as well as blood tests, ECG, consultation with surgeon, consultation with endocrinologist, consultation with gastroenterologist and stomach endoscopy (esophagogastroduodenoscopy).
- Before the surgery you will have to sign an agreement to undergo the surgery and anaesthesia. Please read these documents carefully and if there will be some obscurity or questions sort them out with the doctor and/or doctor-anaesthetist before signing the agreements.
- The payment for the surgery conditions are stated in the Agreement for the provision of personal health care services. The payment can be made by cash or credit card before surgery.
- On the 2nd – 3rd day you will have the surgery. You will need to stay at the hospital for 2 nights. Here you will be provided with all needed medication and care. Bring only personal hygiene kit (toothbrush, toothpaste, comb etc.). Pyjamas, robe, slippers will be provided by the clinic personnel.
- After the surgery you will have consultation with dietitian and will get a diet program, that you will need to follow. Medicine and food package are also given for the first days after surgery.
- After surgery you should stay in Lithuania for at least 5 days.
- If you have any questions you are always welcome to contact us by phone or email. Depending on Your individual situation online consultations with dietitian or surgeon can also be arranged.
If you would like to get a quote for bariatric surgery treatment feel free to fill in this questionnaire: QUESTIONNAIRE.