About Kardiolita Hospital
Kardiolita Hospital is known to be performing the highest number of orthopedic surgeries – and is being chosen by many international patients. About half of the patients for these surgeries come from abroad. Many of them choose Kardiolita Hospital after being referred by their family members and friends. Hip joint replacement surgery is one of the top surgeries performed at Kardiolita Hospital.
Kardiolita Hospital employs only the most professional and qualified orthopedic surgeons, many having over 20 years of experience in operating daily.
Not only hip replacement surgeries, regularly performed at Kardiolita Hospital, are successful – we have many patients coming to us for knee surgeries, with great results. Countless patients have been able to walk without pain again after having hip replacement surgery at Kardiolita Hospital.
Refund from HSE
The hospital could provide help to patients with the documents needed to claim a refund from HSE for medical treatment provided abroad.
The quote we will provide to you specifically, will be all-inclusive and there will be no hidden fees. Here’s what’s included in the price:
- Pre-operative tests
- Surgeon consultation prior to the surgery
- Surgeon visits and consultations after the surgery
- Full medical care in the hospital
- Hospital stay with 5 daily meals. All patients having orthopedic surgeries stay in specially equipped wards
- All needed medications while in the hospital
- Medical Manager to assist at all times
- Help with organizing the trip
Preparation for the surgery
All hip replacement surgeries require thorough preparation, hip and patient condition analysis. For patients coming from abroad, we usually advise to provide their medical records prior to coming so that our surgeons could review the information and confirm that the surgery can be performed.
For overweight people, losing some weight before the surgery may be recommended by the operating surgeon.
It is recommended for at least two weeks before the surgery to not take any aspirin or other pharmaceuticals which cause blood liquefaction. Avoid flaxseed, vitamin E, fish oil, green tea, chia seeds, primrose oil, ginger and garlic as it can increase the risk of bleeding as well.
It is recommended to quit smoking at least two weeks before the surgery in order to get the best possible results, as nicotine affects blood flow and can slow down your recovery. Moreover, it can cause complications.
Patients may be given some exercises to stretch and strengthen the muscles surrounding the knee, which could help to recover after surgery faster.
Patients may be directed to start taking new medications or supplements, such as iron supplements, which can help to recover faster as well.
At Kardiolita Hospital, we use only the newest hip implants of 4th generation that have been approved worldwide and are being used at the world’s best hospitals. Implant price is from 3000 euro.
The surgery is performed under general anesthesia. Hip replacement surgery, depending on complexity, takes about 1-2 hours. It is recommended to stay in the hospital for 6 nights after the surgery.
- Full recovery period may take from several weeks to several months. Some patients are able to fully walk and get back to their regular routines in 5-6 weeks after the surgery, while for some, recovery may take up to 6 months. This depends on the age of a patient, general health condition and the difficulty of the surgery performed.
- Most patients are able to stand and walk with assistance on the first day after the surgery.
- It is recommended to move your foot and leg in order to prevent swelling and activate blood flow.
- Recommended exercises and activity plan are provided to the patient for easier recovery.
- Pain medicine may need to be taken for 7-10 days after the surgery.
Specific rehabilitation program is recommended for each hip replacement patient for easier recovery. Patients can choose to have rehabilitation in their home country or at Kardiolita Hospital – we recommend 10-14 days of rehabilitation.
Lithuania is known as #2 country in the world for the lowest number of complications after orthopaedic surgeries. Although our patients rarely ever face any complications at all, possible complications after hip replacement surgery include:
- Blood clots in the leg veins
- Dislocation of the new joint